Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Chipotle vs. Qdoba...

For some reason, many people make comparisons of Qdoba and Chipotle like it is similar to the rivalries of Coke and Pepsi. I've come to the conclusion that I like both for different reasons.

Here are some of my thoughts.

Chipotle

What I Like:

- Their guacamole is much better than Qdoba's. It has much more flavor/spice while Qdoba's is all avocado and not much else.

- Chipotle uses meat derived from cage free/ free range farms. I also like how Chipotle tries to use some ingredients from local sources.

- Their tacos are delicious. Absolutely top notch.

What I Don't Care For:

- The menu is too limited. However, if you like to keep it simple -- Chipotle is the place for you.

- It tends to be very loud in the restaurant. Whether it is the open kitchen format or music playing a little to loud, it can be hard to hold a conversation in the place.

- The location seems like it would be better for lunch than dinner. For me, it's on the wrong side of McKnight Road. While I like both places, I find myself going to Qdoba more frequently because of its location.

Qdoba

What I like:

- Their menu is very large with lots of options. So, if you're indecisive, Qdoba is the place for you.

- Their taco salad is always good as well as their selection of salsas. I love the hot salsa and pico de gallo.

- It's always comfortable in the eatery. The lines are usually manageable, staff is friendly and no music is blaring.

What I don't like:

- The guacamole sucks

- Their ancho BBQ burrito leaves a lot to be desired. The grilled quesadillas could use a little work too.

- The parking lot is small and can be awkward to exit from.

My final thought is this:

If you're the type who likes a large menu with lots of frills, Qdoba is the place for you. However, if you are a meat and potatoes-type person who enjoys the basics, give Chipotle a shot. They both provide decent food quickly and are top notch when compared to other Mexican style eateries.

What do you think?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Using cage free humanely raised chickens sell me on Chipotle over Qdoba. Go to see Food Inc., a very interesting movie about the food industry in the US. Chickens raised on factory farms are not living in a healthy environment.

Patrick said...

I'll take the drive to Cranberry to go to Moe's over either of the two places.

I applaud Chipotle's methods of sourcing, but I was underwhelmed when I finally visited. Menu is definitely limited.

I have enjoyed Qdoba's food at other locations, but every time I've gone to the McKnight location, my food has been overdone.

Sirfuller said...

Moe's has always reminded me of Don Pablo's. I miss that place.