Thursday, July 2, 2009

Response to reader about Northway...

My fellow Tattlers,

Normally I respond to reader comments in the comments section but I thought this one deserved a little more input. In regards to Northway Mall, John wrote:

It's sad to go to the mall and look at the photos on the lower level walls. I've been going there for more than 40 years - since I was young - and I remember many of those stores. I think the mall needs a drug store and something like a bakery. It would also be great if there was a place that could cater to the older people who hang out there. I hated the renovation, but I've come to realize that it's good that at least part of the mall is still open. As one of the oldest malls in the country, it's an historical treasure!

Some very good thoughts. Here are some thoughts from yours truly:

- I agree that those photos are awesome and I think they should be better incorporated. Northway Mall is such a landmark in the area that its history should be celebrated in some way.

- Unfortunately drug stores and bakeries in malls are a thing of the past. However, I believe there have to be other opportunities.

- I miss the movie theater at Northway. I also miss arcades, man do I miss those.

- I also hate the renovation project. During planning, I was supportive due to the success that North Hills Village Mall encountered. Every situation is different and this plan obviously didn't pan out.

Hopefully things turn around!

13 comments:

sandy v said...

I agree with John. I think the mall needs somewhere to buy the odds and ends like toothpaste or bandaids (but not necessarily fill prescriptions). I also think a bakery, while not a place you may head to the mall for, once you pass it by, the smells will draw you in and you'll buy something. I think we need to find out why all the big name stores keep pulling out. Value city and Old navy should have never left, along with Dress Barn. These were good stores. Is the rent too much? How are we going to get new stores with such a bad track record? It really is a shame.

blackandgoldforums.net said...

Has anyone taken a good look at the remodeled portion of Northway Mall? It is a joke. Try walking through that open part on a cold windy day. Looks like they didn't finish the construction

What peeves me off, they built that extension for that kid company (that lasted for about a year and a half)they blocked the one side, so you can't loop around the top part by Dicks.


What's going on with Party City @ Northway Mall? The place is getting empty.

Looks like Northway took a gamble and lost. wont be long before the entire mall is empty.

Anonymous said...

Party city left very recently. The kid company was very nice for kids, my kids loved it. Problem was a child was hurt and they shut down.

The open mall at the top is just like any other outdoor strip mall, open concepts aren't so bad.

The management there clearly is not motivated to bring in better (or any)tenents at this point in time. With the economic climate I'm not sure how many stores would actually look to expand to a location like that.

JAMMAN said...

I think it's going to only get worse. I give the mall management some credit for trying some new things but the 'renovation' clearly leaves much to be desired. With Borders struggling, yet another anchor has an uncertain future. I agree about the missed opportunity to court tenants that got the boot from Ross Park mall. The mall lacks an identity which confuses both consumer and retailer. They need something that will bring foot traffic, like a good grocery store (Wegamans!!!!, Whole foods or bring back America!) the Aldi market while a good addition is detached. Another idea might be a multi-use space for live performances, school art shows, etc..

But then there's the new development going in just a minute drive north featuring Lowes home improvement center, movie theater and grocery store along with residential living spaces. Combine that with the other vacant properties on McKnight (Chi Chi's, sams club and Circuit City, it's going to be a tough sell.

Anonymous said...

What is the latest on Big Lots moving into the old Kuhn store ?

Anonymous said...

Big Lots news from northhillstweet: http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/stories/2009/07/20/daily18.html?surround=lfn

Anonymous said...

Where are all of these updates you promised ?

Anonymous said...

Here's an update...

He rarely posts anything!


Working to keep you informed! LOL

Anonymous said...

They should put a DSW shoe store in Northway. It is a very popular store and many people were sad when it left Ross Park Mall. The closest one now is out by the airport. It would be a big draw to Northway.

Anonymous said...

Twitter account for north hills news is updated more frequently: http://twitter.com/northhillstweet

Anonymous said...

I agree, DSW would be nice. That shoe carnival place sucks.

Anonymous said...

No, the twitter is just as bad. Not to mention the fact that twitter sucks.

Anonymous said...

Not 'the tattler' twitter account but this account: http://twitter.com/northhillstweet This one started late July and has been updated weekly. I email them and see if they have a blog.