Sunday, January 4, 2009

Shoppes at Northway is sooo depressing...

The oldest mall in the North Hills is so depressing to watch it continue it's downward spiral. Just within the last year, a handful of stores have closed including Value City, Old Navy, a family fun center and that place that sold Oriental furniture.

Mall management really needs to get their behinds into gear before it's too late. However, in these trying economic times, I believe we'll see even more stores shut down.

This Tattler thinks many of these problems stemmed from the closing of Value City among other issues. Shoppes at Northway needs to fill in that gap with a different store that will attract people. Other mall anchors like Dick's and Border's don't cut it because I suspect many of their patrons shop there then leave.

I would consider trying to attract another eatery of some type if I was management. I know this decision could face hurdles... but it may be worth it. Both Mama Lucia's Pizza and Fox and Hound seem to do pretty well. It's just a thought.

Please mall management, do something! Ask yourselves this, is the mall in recovery or a hospice?

Working to keep you posted...

9 comments:

VANDERLOOGEN said...

Dress Barn just closed.... that womans fitness center seems to be no longer in business and I saw today Jezabel the womens clothing store that is by the former Old Navy is moving.

Anonymous said...

I can't figure out that management company. Why did they rip out the movie theaters which were attracting teenagers to the mall and turn the upper level into open air shops. The last thing we needed in Pittsburgh was more open air shops during the cold Christmas shopping season.

Sirfuller said...

I do miss that movie theater especially when it was the cheap seats!

Sirfuller said...

I do hope mall management has an ace up their sleeve but I doubt it :(

Vanderloogen said...

how can the mall be sued because so girl got hurt in that kiddy place that closed last year?

I see a store from the northway mall moving to where circuit city is.

I just LOVE the wind tunnel they created by opening up the upper part.

Kim said...

It is so sad to go over there--just one empty space after another. It could be a profitable mall if they put a little effort into attracting new tenants! What a shame. And, I really miss the movie theater, too!

John said...

It's sad to go to the mall and look at the photos on the lower level walls. I've been going there for more than 40 years - since I was young - and I remember many of those stores. I think the mall needs a drug store and something like a bakery. It would also be great if there was a place that could cater to the older people who hang out there. I hated the renovation, but I've come to realize that it's good that at least part of the mall is still open. As one of the oldest malls in the country, it's an historical treasure!

Anonymous said...

There is nothing to "shop" at the "Shoppes at Northway", it's a vacant eyesore to the comunity any more. The owner calls himself the grand "leasing man" with 20+ years experience and yet he lets his tennants walk out the door and move down the street because he chooses to ignore them and their needs. He has his 75 year old mother running the mall who has no people skills or experience. The tennants call her "the mean old witch." If the owner wasn't so arrogant, he'd be able to keep his good marketing people who have done a great job with unique and different events that draw people, but he still needs stores or people won't bother stopping.
He has a terrible parking lot also - very dangerous.
The next to go is Ritz who is in chapter 11.

j bridge said...

When the Northway Mall had the Cinema, they offered something unique, a shopping mall with entertainment. My wife and I used to love to go to the mall on a Friday night (our date night). We could to the Fox and Hound for dinner, do some shopping, and catch a movie. I preferred the Cinema at the mall because I thought it was nicer than Showcase
Cinema. Whoever told them to trash the theatre and turn the upper level into a frozen wasteland was an idiot. I guess Northway management are idiots too, because they listened!