Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Ross Planners OK HEARTH project...

Ross Township Planning Commission approved designs for a new housing development that will cater to low-income clients of HEARTH, a non-profit organization that helps families with transitional housing.

Tattler Paul e-mailed me with the following:

Don't know if you saw it or not but I thought I'd make sure...

Last Thursday, Ross planners approved the "affordable housing" HEARTH at Benet Woods proposal. For the Post-Gazette article, click here.

I guess some in Ross have decided to follow the James Burn/Millvale model of importing dependent classes to maintain and increase their political power. I figured when we moved to the North Hills I'd have just enough time to get my daughter through school before Lana Mazur had poisoned the environment to the point we'd be looking to move.

You'd think that politicians around here would look at the Penn Hills and Monroeville's Garden City debacles and avoid repeating those errors, but I guess that's to much to expect from the power hungry. Can't wait to see the first check cashing and payday advance joint to open on McKnight.

While this Tattler agrees with Paul fundamentally, I think some may be getting ahead of themselves. These plans must now go before the Ross Township Board of Commissioners for final approval.

A date will be set to discuss the plans. I urge any of you to come out and let your opinions to be heard.

Unfortunately, this dispute it makes HEARTH look bad. In reality, this is a non-profit organization that works to help those in need. Through counseling, education and other resources, this organization assists people in getting back on their feet.

What they do is a good thing but this Tattler still believes these particular development plans aren't good for Ross Township or at least that area of the municipality right now.

Over the coming years, those neighborhoods will undergo drastic changes after North Hills closes Seville Elementary in 2009. The HEARTH project would add even more complications to an already frustrating situation.

When I find out a hearing date for this issue -- I'll let you know.

Working to keep you posted...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that in the year 2007, people are still "afraid" of poor people and African American people. I am thoroughly offended.

Anonymous said...

I think approving this is a BIG mistake. Ross is really going downhill. I just moved to the Shaler, right by the Ross border 3 years ago and I am already thinking of moving because of things such as this. And,I am afraid of what's to come if things like this continue to happen. I live in the suburbs for a reason and now I have to move farther away from the city to feel safe.

Anonymous said...

This is a huge mistake. No, I am not afraid of poor people or African American people. That is probably the most ridiculous conclusion that can be drawn from the negative feedback on the HEARTH decision. If you are insulted, it should be at your own ignorance. However, bringing low-incoming housing to an area lowers the property value and increases crime. This isn't some stereotype... This is a fact that can be proven over and over again.

Paul said...

I can't believe that in the year 2007 and after numerous examples of the negative pact that plans like these have had on communities in not only the Pittsburgh Metro Area but every other major urban area there are those who still rely on the race and class envy canards to justify them.

Whatever Hearth's noble intentions are there's only one outcome that ever results from projects like this and it is not a better life for minorities and the poor.

Anonymous said...

How does low income housing reduce property values ? Shadyside seems to be ok surrounded by Larimer, East Liberty...South side has low income housing and does ok...

Where do poor people live then ?

this is 11 units for God Sakes...we are not talking about hundreds of people.

NIMBYism in its purest form

Andy

Anonymous said...

I live close to this. In the summer there was a cold blooded shooting at Perrysville and Vincent Sts. 4 blooks away. This would of never happened 20 yrs ago. HUD and Section 8 housing brought in a bed element.