Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Wal-Mart Rumors Running Rampant...

Ever since Wal-Mart purchased the location of the former Chi-Chi's Restaurant along McKnight Road about a month ago it certainly got the rumor mills rolling.

Earlier last weekend this Tattler heard from one of my faithful readers:

"Rumor has it that Wal-Mart has bought more than just Chi Chi's along McKnight Road.

Shultz Ford Bought out McCrackin Ford, who in turn sold the property to Wal-Mart. (I'm looking into this one)

In addition to McCrackin's property, I have also heard that they have purchased property at 5000 McKnight Road. This is the mid-rise office building across the street from Chi Chi's.

In addition to that, they are trying to buy the bank just north of 5000 McKnight, nearest the southern entrance to Ross Park Mall.

Perhaps a Wal-Mart overpass from northbound McKnight Road? Who Knows. Nonetheless, if a multi-million dollar property spending spree doesn't predict development, I don't know what does."

Just two days letter, I got another comment from a different reader in the inbox:

"So Sam's Club leaves, McCrackin sell out, leaving a huge chunk of land - Chi Chi's is sold, mark my words - Wal-Mart is coming!"

After receiving the emails, this Tattler had to confirm if any of the rumors are true (at least at this point). Jim Davis, Wal-Mart's public affairs senior manager, said:

"No additional property has been acquired. I am unsure of any "interest" in properties across the street. If the property is available for purchase, our broker may have inquired as to price, etc - but there is no plan to acquire additional adjacent properties."

So at this point all of the rumors seem to be just that - rumor. This Tattler would stress that all you readers keep an eye on that area of McKnight Road because I doubt Wal-Mart is just holding onto the property without any development plans in mind.

If you here any other rumors ... let this Tattler know: sirfuller@hotmail.com

Working to keep you posted...


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, it's been almost a year since you posted this story... I live in Ross, within two miles of this Chi-Chi's, and it's still uninhabited (as is the Ford dealership.) What's the scoop?

Also, why does your presidential poll not include RON PAUL?

Jeff said...

Because Ron Paul is about as viable as Ralph Nader for president. But, given his recent popularity -- I will include him on our next poll (if he's still in the race).

When it comes to Wal-Mart, I also live very close to the old Chi-Chi's (they had the best salsa).

I heard that Wal-Mart has scrapped their McKnight Road plans due to traffic issues. I plan on posting something later this week once I get more credible info.

Jeff said...

Also, for sale signs have recently been put up on the old McCrackin location so that may back up the idea that Wal-Mart has scrapped plans.

I know originally Outback (I think) had shown interest in the Chi-Chi's property but Wal-Mart had an option to put them first in line and took it.